Installation : Final Major Project
MA in Photography, Falmouth University, Module 5
On 24th May I had my final pre-show meeting with the gallery. It was not the most relaxed meeting I have ever had (a sort of sober reminder that one is ‘just’ a student…), but it enabled me to guide my work over the next two weeks.
The following is a brief synopsis of issues covered.
Figures 2, 3
Plan – SketchUp and numerically referenced hanging schedule
I shared the latest version to discuss the hanging locations and media figs 1-3. The gallerist was concerned about hanging the clusters of tablets (fig 4) as each would require a pair of the hanging wires (the conclusion from previous meetings); she felt that this was too much and may be visually cluttered. I am to experiment with Velcro type tasters on trial tablets back at home. I took 4 sample tablets along to show progress with the images and fixings. I photographed one sample against the white wall of the upper gallery and the dark grey of the lower gallery – see figs 5 and 6 – note the distinct colour rendering of the concrete face in the two contrasting contexts. The dark grey walls are the lower gallery colour that this work will be hung within.
Figures 5, 6
Timing to install – dates/times
As the lower gallery space is currently not showing work I can access the space, to commence hanging from 9th June.
I explained that I had ordered a Minimad projector controller that would make the ‘fire-up’ simple each day the gallery opens. I need to test this out once the kit has arrived.
The principal image
I advised the gallerist that I was still keen to show three of the A2 images, framed with museum glass, however, I had ordered a circa A1 size ‘hero’ image for hanging as the focal point upon entry to the space fig 7.
I had noted that the stair-head was vacant and had a hanging rail over when I attended the launch of the Gökhan Tanriöver launch fig 8. I suggested one concrete piece as an indicator of the installation downstairs, but the gallery refused this option, there will thus be no visible presence on the street or main gallery level.
Launch night details
We agreed on the timing as 18.00-20.00 on the 14th June.
Ruth Millington as writer
I suggested that the writing I had requested could be used in the gallery’s information sheet and as it was a neutral piece, observing the work it was best separated from my work in terms of who pays. However, the gallery turned that down (despite precedents). I shall thus be paying the writer, so there is a question of ethics on this issue. I will need and be happy to say that Ruth was paid by me.
Comments; book or cards?
I am keen to engage with the audience and solicit feedback. We agreed that a small table could be used for comments cards (in preference to a book that makes visible all comments) – I will need to print comments cards for the show.
Wall mounted information
These will need to be adhered to the wall directly via Velcro or similar. Will be printed at A3 or A2.
Any special evenings/sessions?
I am working on ideas for this.
Jaanika Okk – Okk Arts
It was agreed that my commercial agent could create a video in the gallery during the show.
Pricing the work;
This was a fairly detailed discussion. As the gallery has not funded the work it has agreed that commission would be less than the normal 40%. The gallery is not VAT registered.
The framed prints would be £450 framed (with museum glass) and £275 as prints (kodak Endura) all limited to 3. I need to agree on a price on the newly printed and mounted ‘hero’ image as this is backed by 5mm Foamex board.
The concrete was a more debated artifact. They are handcrafted and thus have a uniqueness but also an ordinariness. We disused the costly mould commission process and sizes, etc. We agreed that the range should be £80/£90/£100 per piece with a 10% discount for a cluster. Editions to be limited to 5.
The gallery’s handout sheet – it was agreed that this could be on grey paper to distinguish it from the normal white version, to emulate the concrete. I need to choose a key image.
Figures 9, 10, 11
I ran another test in the small projection area and there were distinct problems with the dark grey of the walls, shown in fig 9 where there is significant image loss. Fig 10 shows that the projector had to be tilted substantially to avoid ceiling projection and fig 11 illustrates that the image quads need to be tuned to the wall dimensions/distances. It was agreed that I should purchase white sheeting to be suspended in the space from the hanging rails to create a purer reflective surface.
All images by Philip Singelton using iPhone.